Thursday, April 06, 2006

Surrealism at its finest

Two days ago I received good news that I have been awarded a 2-month scholarship to study in Italy. I found it surreal because I knew (at the bottom of my heart) that I will not be awarded the scholarship. I mucked up (change M to F) the interview so badly I dismissed the idea of leaving.

Well well well... let me start from the beginning. Sometime end of Feb my former boss, Spanish classmate and good friend Rhea Alarcon mentioned that NCCA is looking for Italian-speaking college students or young professionals to go to Italy for 2 months to study Italian language and culture at the Dante Alighieri University in Reggio Calabria. It's an all-expense paid vacation, este summer course. Syempre ako, fight naman, with minimal hope because only 4 will be chosen.

It was 3 days before the deadline when I heard of it.. I called NCCA to ask for an extension pero ayaw nila, so larga naman kami ni Carmie. I harassed Rhea and Ate Mhir for letters of recommendation, while I spent quite a number of hours writing the application letter. (Wow, parang college ulit). Good thing na photo-finish namin, on my birthday pa! (Maybe birthday luck was on my side)

I didn't hear from them for a month or so, and when I'd follow up, they'd say they'll just contact me. So ako naman, assuming that I mucked it up (change M to F again), went on with my life and started planning and preparing for Art Adventures.

Quite honestly, I had lost all hope and forgotten about it when I got an email sometime end of March saying that I needed to be interviewed. Since I was more excited with Art Adventures than with the scholarship, I really didn't look forward to it. Then interview came and went (and I really MUCKED it up!) and lo and behold, they award the scholarship to little old me!

I think I was the most nonchalant scholarship grantee EVER. When NCCA called to say that I was the scholarship, all I said was, "Oh... ok. Thank you." (Taray diba?) I even said I'll think about it.

So after talking to Alessa and Raf about it, I decided to go. What's 2 months anyway? And sabi ni Alessa, we can continue when I get back this July. Si Raf naman, will have training in the States around the same time I'll be gone (I think), so it will be a win-win situation for us. At least we're both out of the country at the same time.

The excitement is starting to pile up already. Maybe 2 weeks from now I'll be so obssessed with it I won't be able to function.

Just so you know, I'm leaving end of April to 2nd week of July (I think). Basta, malabo pa detalya. In the meantime, while I change this super generic template and learn HTML, this blog will contain my future adventures and my blasts from the past (I'll be posting tidbits of my trip last year).

So, as the Italians would say, bienvenuti!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home