Friday, April 14, 2006

Blast from the past 2: London and UK (part 1)

Last year, I was fortunate enough to stay with my Ninong and Mommy in Paris, who was, at that time, the military attache (and wife of) of Philippines to France. That saved me a great deal because I didn't have to worry on paying extra for lodging, food, and internet access.

So my first "spending" trip was with my tita (cousin of mother) in London. She's currently studying physiotherapy (or kung ano man), and at that time, wanted to go to Edinburgh, Scotland. Since anyone can drag me and my pittance (pity allowance) anywhere, I tagged along with her.

Unfortunately, my trip to London wasn't as smooth as I had hoped it would be. It all started with my ticket-purchasing. Everything had gone smoothly til the time I had to pay. Since I don't carry that much cash with me, I pay with my credit card. My first one got rejected, good thing I had two others. The second one was ok. When I asked for my card, the teller didn't want to give it to me! I was shocked, confused, upset and emotional, so, naturally, I cried. (boo!) Come to the rescue naman ang Ninong ko.. he called me up and talked to the teller, asking why it happened, etc. etc. I called naman my Ninang here in the Philippines to call my Ninang in the States. But, in all fairness, it was a terrifying experience. I didn't know what was wrong, and why it happened. I panicked.. what if they suspect me to be a big-time credit card fraud? What if they ask me to be detained in their office to be stripped search? (Too many fiction running in my blood, but I did think about that while I was in the office.)

Anyway, turns out the bank where our accounts were (Merill-Lynch) suddenly stopped transacting business with non-American clients (or something like that), so they closed all of our accounts. Naturally, the credit card got cancelled too. Apparently, my Ninang didn't receive the letter ML sent. So the card was practically worthless. Anyway, to be safe, I asked them to write a note saying my credit card was confiscated, blahblahblhalbah, which they did naman. So, awa ng Diyos, sobbing aside, I was able to buy my ticket.

I left for London the next day and met up with my Tita around noon. Since our Megabus left around midnight, we had the whole day to walk around. She decided to meet up with her friends, who at one point in their teaching careers, taught at the British School in Manila. Then we just hung around London (Ooh parang malaking park).

Teachers Caroline, Tita AJ, Kirsty and me having lunch

Me at Picaddily Circle (please correct if I'm wrong)

Me trying to get some shut-eye while waiting for the bus at Victoria Coach
(not Victoria Court!)



Anyway, to be continued na yung susunod. Masyadong mahaba na ata e. Just remember, Handy Dandy Tip #2: Plan plan plan ahead!!! Most modes of transport in Europe are cheaper if you book them months ahead. One of them is Megabus, a bus service that starts their fares at £1.00. For airlines, check out Ryan Air and Easy Jet. But if you're the type who wants to hop on a train and go, the best is to get a Eurail Pass. However, Eurail passes are not valid in the U.K., but it's great for the other parts of Europe, especially for trains that do not need reservations.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home