Sunday, March 18, 2007

Cooking pasta for one...

I've never cooked for myself. If ever I get in the mood to cook (or, answering Iron Chef's chairman's Allez cuisine -- Je vais cuisine), I would usually cook for at least 3 people. Or when I was in Italy, I would cook for 4+++ people. In short, I would cook bigger servings, throw a feast, and have a gastronomical party in my tummy.

Today, however, was the first time I cooked for myself. I wasn't out to please anyone, only me. And since I had been craving for pasta, either tomato based or cream was fine, I decided to pas-tah for mah-self. The dish: Pasta All'amatriciana, Chinese style. Say whaaat?

Pasta All'amatriciana is a tomato-based dish. It's similar to puttanesca in a way that it also has chopped canned tomatoes, but instead all the veggie bits are replaced with pancetta, or unsmoked bacon. (Since we don't have unsmoked bacon here, or pancetta is waaaay expensive here, ordinary purefoods bacon would do). My version has yunnan ham, instead of bacon.

Yunnan ham is ham from.. well, Yunnan. They're usually sold in cans in Bee Tin Tin (ba yon?) a store along Ongpin. I think SRP is Php120 per can but it can laaaast a long time, since it's very salty a small piece can be equivalent to a gigantic spoonful of rice.

AAAANYWAY... Verdict is, I put in waaay too many spaghetti, cooked way too much sauce, but it was an ok ratio. Of course I shlopped everything into one big bowl and finished it. It lacked sauce when I had way too many noodles, but halfway through the noodles I had way too much sauce. Haha and I liked eating in my room, while watching tv. The ham wasn't crispy enough (I can make it crispier with bacon.) Hrmm.. should've stuck with bacon. But, I'm excited to eat Yunnan ham with rice, tho! Hahaha

Tama na. Magugutom na ako ulit.

2 Comments:

Blogger yoginiontheedge said...

sorry sorry, i just had to comment. i think it's eng bee tin. (the chinese deli). hehe.

2:12 pm  
Blogger Isaaaaaa said...

Oh, yes it is. I can't believe someone still reads my blog. Thanks!!

2:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home