Thursday, May 04, 2006

Of toilets and what-not

I just realized I revealed a little bit too much about myself in my previous entry, but since the damage has been done and I'm too lazy for damage control, I decided to write an entry about... (drum roll please...) TOILETS.

My trip last year has helped me with this little entry, and because of my strong feelings toward this great piece of ceramic craftmanship, this is for the weary travellers who have undecided little bottoms.

Most train stations and airports are ideal for the upset (stomach). Train Stations and airport WCs (or water closets for the Americanized) are big, spacious, and most important, clean. They welcome the tired traveller with open arms and sing, "Come on, abuse me, I'll like it" (borrowing from Silverchair's song, Abuse Me). This is great for those who cannot use cramped transport WCs to save their lives.

However, most train stations' wcs are monopolized by Mr. Clean, or Mc Clean, or the entire Clean family (sorry, I forget) who requires the exhausted traveller to shell out a few coins. So, handy dandy tip #3: bring lots of coins! for you never know when you'll need loose change. Ok, not a lot, but just enough for you to be able to use the toilets thrice.

If you're going around the city, I discovered that the best place, if you're really desperate, is to go to small, close-to-empty cafes. First, this is great because of my toilet theory: the less people inside, the lesser chance they'll use the toilet, ergo, more time for things to air out. Busy restaurants are definitely a no no!Second, it is highly probable that the employees use the same toilet, so cleanliness is guaranteed. Overall, however, most restaurants and cafes have clean, ready-to-sit-on bowls, so one wouldn't have a problem.

Of course, it is quite rude if one would just go in such venue and abuse its facilities. Ordering a cup of tea or a cup of coffee would do, but if you're having stomach problems it's better to stay off the caffeine and the cream for a while. Well, actually, tea will soothe one's protesting stomach. And, it's mandatory for one to leave a tip, it's just common courtesy. (Handy dandy tip #3 also applies)

Oh well.. if you have a stomach of steel or have a fixed schedule, I applaud and envy you. If you're like me, then, believe me, I KNOW what you're going through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home